Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Two Stencil Technique Stencil Color on Color and Ghosting


Here are two tags that I made quickly with the same tools but got very different techniques.  I wanted to do something with this beautiful kids paint I have had in my stash for several years and never used it.  So this is what I came up with

Ingredients

Manila tag or other substrate
Acrylic, Watercolor, Dye Ink, or Other Water soluble medium.
- I used Prang Washable Metallic here but in the past of used several brands of acrylic paint.
Stencil.  I used Tim Holtz Stars
Paint Brush or Sponge Applicator
Non Stick Craft Mat

Not pictured 
- Baby Wipes
- Masking Tape



The first technique is what I stencil color on color. The colorant used does not have to be water soluble in this technique.  

1.  Color the tag.  Let dry.
2.  Tape tag to non stick craft sheet.  Tape stencil to craft mat.
3.  Using sponge applicator, pounce same color over the stencil.  Remove stencil
4.  Let dry.  

The second technique is called ghosting.  This one you must use some sort of water soluble colorant, like acrylic paint, watercolor or dye ink.

1.  Paint the tag.  
2.  While still wet, tape tag to non stick craft sheet and tape stencil to craft mat.
3.  Using a moist baby wipe rub the color up through the stencil.  
4.  Let dry.





No comments: