Tuesday, May 13, 2014
This Tuesday is the meeting of Craft Warehouse Stamp Club. This month card swap theme is the three B s - bees, birds or babies. Now I always thought it took the birds and bees to get a baby but I don't think that's what they meant. Since I am from Portland originally I wanted to put a bird on it. Thanks Portlandia.
This is an old technique from Technique Junkies Newsletter called Bleached Wash Technique. but I think Bleach Out Markers makes more sense. The TJ newsletter article was written a few years ago before distress markers were available but I found distress markers work great with this technique, even better than just regular water based markers. . It's the technique used on the background paper.
For the Technique For the Card
Canson Mixed Media Paper. White Card Blank
Archival Ink. Die Cut Pink Mat
Rubber Stamps Die Cut Lavender Mat
Distress Markers. Foam Dots
Spray Bottle of Water. Adhesive (ATG used)
Heat Gun. Pink Bakers Twine
Small Cup of Household Bleach. Rubber Stamps (bird, hello, chevron)
Paintbrush Corner Chomper
Watermark Ink (Versamark)
1. Stamp image with waterproof archival ink. I used Ranger Archival in jet black with Wendy Vecchi flower stamp.
2. Using water based markers color the images. Don't worry about staying in the lines and use lots of ink. I actually colored each image twice. I used distress markers because they are reactive with water which is important in the next step.
3. Spray with water so the ink runs.
4. Color images with distress markers again and spray with water again. You want lots of color to run. Dry with a heat gun.
5. Using bleach and a small paint brush, bleach out the images so they are void of most color. If you let the bleach set it will continue to be reactive so once the bleach has worked to your liking heat it with heat gun to stop process
6. Using as a background, round the corners and attach to the blank card. Die cut the purple and pink paper. Stamp both with chevron using versamark ink. Stamp sentiment and bird on the purple piece. Layer them together. Tie pink bakers twine around the piece. Apply foam dots on the back of the pink panel and attach to the bleached out piece.
Here is a fast and easy card.
I have had a sizzix big shot for about a year now and I have really not used it much. This card uses both the big shot's ability to die cut and to emboss.
Cardstock (at least 2 colors)
Sizzix Big Shot or other die cutting machine
Die (Tim Holtz Stacking Stars)
Embossing Folder (misc)
Adhesive (ATG Gun)
Temporary Adhesive Tape (Washi Tape)
1. Die cut both pieces of cardstock using die cutting machine. Use temporary adhesive tape to hold it in place on die. I use washi tape because I have it on hand.
2. Run the base piece of card stock though big shot using embossing folder. I like to do this after cut so that the embossing doesn't become squashed.
3. Using adhesive of choice attach base piece to card base. Apply adhesive to die cuts and attach in cut outs.
4. Attach gem stones to card. Finished
Monday, May 12, 2014
Ok as I've mentioned before Craft Warehouse Stamp Club has a challenge each month where I get a small bag of scraps and I make a creation using all the pieces in the bag.
The crow creation is what I came up with using the Technique Junkies sunburst technique and the bird is attached with with a tiny clothes pin.
Below are other cards I have made using the same technique one of my favorites because you can use up lots of scraps.
Monday, May 5, 2014
The second Tuesday of each month the Craft Warehouse of Salem has a stamp club meeting. Since I'm trying to build an art creating community for myself here in Salem, Oregon I attend.
During the month prior they offer us bags of odds and ends with challenge for us to make a card using at least a little of everything in the bag.
Here is my creation
It's not a complicated card. The packet included the kraft card stock the red flower paper and the decorative sticky paper (which I did not know was self adhesive until after I taped it down,) and a cork arrow embellishment. (I should have taken a picture of the stuff in the bag but I forgot. Goal for next time.)
To start I used the cork arrow to stamp on the Kraft cardstock using barn door distress paint. Then I attached the cardstock to another piece of cardstock with the atg along the top and scored it just below to make the card base. I cut the adhesive paper to look like banners and attached it. I used a piece of the red flower paper on top to make it look more finished. I stamped the "oh deer" stamp using archival black ink. Using my big shot and spellbinder nestabilities dies I cut out the deer panel and the kraft frame. I attached both to the card base and I was done.
At the meeting there is a drawing for 3 gift cards for all who participate. To me it is always fun to see how differently everyone used the same material.